?

Log in

Born on a Monday...again, and again, and again... - JLA Watchtower RPG
jla_watchtower
grundy_smash
Born on a Monday...again, and again, and again...

The first news report came from Gotham City, around 10 AM.  Fittingly enough, on a Monday.

Solomon Grundy on a rampage, walking through an office building, same old same old.

Except at 10:22 AM, the newswires reported that Solomon Grundy was engaged in a firefight with policemen in New York City, as he was heading towards the JSA Brownstone.

To make matters worse...at 7:30 AM west coast time, there was a citizen complaint of a skinny albino man...matching the description of a former form of Solomon Grundy's...lying naked in the grass.  Just staring into space.

Within an hour or so, there are at least 15 reports of Solomon Grundy sightings across the US.

And the numbers kept growing...

Tags: , , , , ,

36 comments or Leave a comment
Comments
lanternslight From: lanternslight Date: February 19th, 2008 06:43 pm (UTC) (Link)
Hal Jordan was unaware of any of these reports. He was merely heading to work, saving time by traveling invisibly as the Green Lantern.

His first hint that anything is amiss, however, is when a semi-truck flies through the air towards one of the few occupied office buildings.

His brain reacts instinctively, creating a massive glove to catch the truck, simultaneously turning himself visible.

And before he can lower the truck to the ground, he feels a massive force collide with his back.
From: grundy_smash Date: February 19th, 2008 06:59 pm (UTC) (Link)
"SOLOMON GRUNDY KILL GREEN LANTERN!"

He doesn't look normal. His body is covered in a thin black shield, almost like Hal's own green shield... the only thing which saves Hal's life from the super-strong attack.

A black ring rests on Grundy's finger.
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 21st, 2008 04:34 am (UTC) (Link)

Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"Um, thanks for the number." Jesse watches as the young man stumbles off into the welcoming arms of his drunk companions, high-fiving them as he does.

Shaking her head, she turns to her companion, tossing down the last dregs of whatever amber colored alcohol she'd been drinking.

"That's the fourth number we've been given tonight, Bette. So far, it's been two guys from seperate frat houses doing their rush, one married businessman, and one guy that I'm pretty sure was actually gay."
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: February 21st, 2008 04:46 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"Noooo. No." Bette laughs, "That's the fourth number /you've/ gotten."
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 21st, 2008 05:05 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"And none of them are guys I'd want to take HOME with me. Well, maybe that last guy... " She leans over, almost falling off of her stool, to wave at him, and then straightens back up.

"I... need to be drunker. More drunk. Why isn't this working?"
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: February 21st, 2008 05:07 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"You're still thinking too much."

Bette chuckles softly at that.
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 21st, 2008 05:18 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Jesse raises her glass and waves it at a passing waitress, trying to get her attention.

"Probably just need more... of this. Or that." She points at the group of frat boys. "Just got to... lushe... loosen up. " She's slurring a little, but that'll pass in about five minutes.

Far off in the distance there is suddenly a low BOOM, followed a moment later by the ringing of car alarms.
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: February 21st, 2008 05:23 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"You need something. That's why we're here."

Bette leans in toward Jesse for a few moments and then there is that sound.

"Oh dear."
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 21st, 2008 05:41 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Jesse's head is turned to look out the window, watching for a sign of where the sound came from.

"Figures, Bette. Night out on the town, and something big happe..." A car drops from above, landing on and crushing the motorcycles parked out front. It is soon followed by a large figure, dressed in a torn up pair of pants and ratty old suit jacket.

"....Grundy." Jesse hops off of the stool, and grabs Bette by the wrist, dragging her towards the back door.
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: February 21st, 2008 05:44 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"Oh... That ... Woah, woah, woah!"

Bette hops for the first few feet and then follows her out.

"I am so not dressed for this."
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 21st, 2008 06:41 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"Neither am I. Is your costume where it usually is?" She barey waits for a response before whispering the formula under her breath and disappearing. About 1 minutes she's back, dressed in the usual red and gold, and passes Bette's costume over to her.

"Put this on, unless you want me to do it at high speed."
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: February 21st, 2008 06:48 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"In the alley?"

Bette's voice is incredulous.
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 21st, 2008 11:10 pm (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"Would you rather go back in there to change?" More sounds of destruction are filtering through to the alley.

"Or I could go on my own. That's a possibility too..."
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: February 21st, 2008 11:19 pm (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"Go, go! It'll take me for freaking ever to get changed in comparison."

Note to self. Make sure the next iteration of costume is more quick change friendly.
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 23rd, 2008 04:29 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

"Hurry. I'm pretty certain that I can't take him out all by myself." She grins crookedly and pats Bette on the cheek, and then is gone.
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: February 23rd, 2008 04:36 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Bette is getting changed as quickly as possible.

She also doesn't want anyone to notice that Bette Kane is over here getting changed into a Flamebird costume.
From: grundy_smash Date: February 23rd, 2008 04:49 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Out in front of the bar, Grundy feels nothing but rage. Rage against everything.

That car. BOOM
Tree. BOOM
Building.

Grabbing another car in both hands, he hoists it to throw at the brick building with twinkling lights in the windows. Shouts and screams filter out through the door, but Grundy remains oblivious.
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 23rd, 2008 04:51 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

A moment later, Jesse appears from behind the building and is confronted with the sight of the large man holding a car above his head, ready to toss it in to the bar.

"Oh, Bette. Please hurry." She breathes, and then steps forward, settling into a fighting stance.

"Grundy! Point that thing over here!"
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: February 23rd, 2008 04:54 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Bette does hurry.

She does hurry but hurring for her is not hurrying for Jesse. Speed is like that.
From: grundy_smash Date: February 25th, 2008 04:51 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Grundy turns, seeing the brightly colored woman before him.

Sure enough, he throws the car directly at her, grunting in anger as he does so.
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 25th, 2008 05:31 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Great, he's actually THROWING it... "Holy crap!" is all she has time to say before having to jump away from the incoming vehicle, which barely misses her before crashing and rolling into the row of cars next to her.

She tumbles over and back up, and a moment later is running at top speed straight at Grundy, shoulder down to hit him square in the solar plexus and hopefully send him flying end over end.
From: grundy_smash Date: February 25th, 2008 05:40 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Jesse's super strength is the only thing that keeps her from breaking her fist on his chest. But that strength does push her target back a few feet, his feet cracking the concrete as he slides.

On a living target, he might have had his wind knocked out of him. As it stands, he just grunts... and brings his fists down towards Jesse's head.
3x2_9yz_4a From: 3x2_9yz_4a Date: February 25th, 2008 06:00 am (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Using her superspeed, Jesse ducks out of the way behind him.

"You can do better than that, Grundy."
_bird_of_flame_ From: _bird_of_flame_ Date: March 10th, 2008 07:16 pm (UTC) (Link)

Re: Grundymania: Bar Hopping

Flamebird is on her way. The costume isn't fitting quite right since she got into super fast (for her at any rate) but she'll be there shortly.

The bolos she's throwing will get there before her.
onthecase From: onthecase Date: February 24th, 2008 08:51 pm (UTC) (Link)
The Chimp sips his coffee and looks over the table at Caleb.

"I'm telling you, the Chinese government is hiding something. Dunno what yet, but it's something big. And I'm sure it's wrapped up with those attacks."
caleb_z From: caleb_z Date: February 24th, 2008 08:57 pm (UTC) (Link)
"Do you know what bureau within the government? Because we might want to send them the uh ... the quiet message, as it were, that targeting a member of the Outsiders is unacceptable."
onthecase From: onthecase Date: February 24th, 2008 09:01 pm (UTC) (Link)
He shakes his head. "I can't shake the feeling it's tied in with their new photo ops... the timing is just... too convenient."
caleb_z From: caleb_z Date: February 24th, 2008 09:26 pm (UTC) (Link)
Caleb subtly looks around the room through the tops of his eyes as he sips his tea, before casually placing it back on the causer.

"Do you know where the photo ops are being run from?" We'll have to do some homework first.
onthecase From: onthecase Date: February 24th, 2008 09:28 pm (UTC) (Link)
"They say they've got that station in orbit," Chimp nods. "I didn't assume that was their actual base, but having looked into it... I think it is."

He places his coffee on the saucer... and gives it a scowl.

The liquid in it is still shaking.
caleb_z From: caleb_z Date: February 24th, 2008 10:16 pm (UTC) (Link)
Caleb fails to notice Chimp's stare. A satellite. That complicates things somewhat.

Chimp's coffee (and Caleb's tea) splashing out of their cups and spilling across the table is somewhat harder to miss, though. The whole floor rumbled for a moment with that last one.

Caleb's attention is on the Chimp, calm confusion painted on his face. "I wonder wha-"

The ground rumbles again, and the lights go out on the other side of the street.

"I wager that's our cue."
onthecase From: onthecase Date: February 25th, 2008 04:48 am (UTC) (Link)
That's when a car smashes through the wall of the cafe.

Chimp growls. "I guess it is."

He leaps up from the table and jumps over the remains of the car, looking for the source of the attack.
caleb_z From: caleb_z Date: February 26th, 2008 04:08 pm (UTC) (Link)
The air is filled with the screeches of frightened people trying to get away from the car, or rushing to loved ones struck by pieces of displaced wall.

Caleb doesn't feel anyone in the car, so he doesn't bother to check for an injured driver as he follows Chimp out of the hole, and right into sight of a large Solomon Grundy.

He greets them by hurling a piece of debris at the Chimp.
onthecase From: onthecase Date: March 3rd, 2008 07:32 pm (UTC) (Link)
The chimp moves quickly, jumping over the debris as it comes towards him.

"Well, crap. It's a cranky undead guy. You can cover this, right, bwana? I'll just head back in and finish my coffee..."
caleb_z From: caleb_z Date: March 3rd, 2008 07:50 pm (UTC) (Link)
"It might be more useful if you helped to clear the area of civilians," Caleb notes as he takes the Chimp's advice, and uses the most reliable weapon in his disposal against the rampaging goliath: A Gunshot to the head.

The first round seems ineffective. As does the second, and the third. "Alright, time to improvise..."

As the irritated Grundy charges his position, Caleb decides to turn things up a notch, and calls down the lightning.
From: grundy_smash Date: March 4th, 2008 07:41 pm (UTC) (Link)
Grundy grunts slightly, annoyed by the electricity, while the Chimp begins clearing out civilians.

He turns his eyes towards Caleb.

"RAAAAAAARGH!"
caleb_z From: caleb_z Date: March 4th, 2008 10:35 pm (UTC) (Link)
His eyes narrow in anger, but a smile edges in from the side of his lips. Caleb always did love a challenge, after all.

That's right, look at me...

A ball of energy leaps from his fingers. It's considerably less powerful than the lightning, but it's not intended to put the beast down.

36 comments or Leave a comment